The Men´s Group at Congregation Shir Shalom provides its members with a chance to get together with other men from the Temple in a relaxed and casual atmosphere for activities such as monthly breakfast meetings, the annual Bubbe’s Kitchen, excursions to sports events, and everyone’s favorite – monthly poker nights.
We also help support the Temple through fundraising and by supporting Temple needs that are not covered by the Temple budget.
Send an email to Men’s Group to get on our email list and to stay informed about our meetings and events.
The Men´s Group generally meets on the third Sunday of every month at 9:15AM in the Ganainu Room, for a breakfast meeting. Bagels and lox, coffee and orange juice are provided. Most months we have guest speakers, other times we just meet and eat. Join us! Get on the email list for updates.
These are some of the speakers and events we have had this past year.
- Wine Tasting:
- Hijacking: Two members of the Buffalo community who were on a hijacked plane and were held hostage in Jordan in 1970 spoke about their experiences.
- AIPAC: Representatives from AIPAC spoke at a lunch meeting.
- J Street: We had a speaker from J Street, the first one to come to Buffalo in several years.
- Science: We had Joe Morris talk about the Frontiers of Physics and we had Dr. Chris Cohan, curator of UB´s Brain Museum talk about the museum and bring in brains for us to see.
- Politics: Amherst Town Supervisor Barry Weinstein, former member of the Texas Legislature, Paul Colbert and United States Representative, Chris Collins have joined Men’s Group for Brunch.
- Community Leaders: Jewish Federation director Rob Goldberg spoke.
- Entertainers: Comedian Bruce Baum and Juggler Nels Ross got us laughing.
- History: Dan Kester did a presentation on his trip to the Holocaust sites of Poland.
- Local Celebrities: Newscaster Rich Kellman spoke with us, as did TV producer Bruce Corris.
- Finance: CPA Ken Weinstein spoke on taxes.
For the most up-to-date information, see the online Temple Calendar and get on our email list.
All of our events are open to all men who are members of Congregation Shir Shalom; meetings where we have speakers are open to both men and women.
We hope you will join us!
Men´s Group President
Last updated: September 3, 2016 at 15:42 pm